|Collection||Vertical File Photos|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
Ohio Medical University (1892 - 1907) was located on Park Street across from Goodale Park. Ohio Medical University had colleges of medicine, dentistry and pharmacy, with a charter enabling it to establish a department of midwifery and a school for the training of nurses. From its inception the University adopted the recitation plan of instruction with modifications to suit the subject, and gave clinical work and laboratory exercises prominent places in its courses. Besides erecting large and spacious buildings for the several departments the university donated the ground upon which the Protestant Hospital Association erected a substantial hospital building; the hospital and university cooperating in promoting the welfare of each other. The university had about 1,200 graduates.
In 1907 Starling Medical College and Ohio Medical University merged and became Starling-Ohio Medical College (SOMC). SOMC operated until 1914 when it became The Ohio State University College of Medicine. There were 303 graduates while SOMC was in operation.
After outgrowing its original location on Dennison Avenue, Protestant Hospital moved to a new facility at 700 North Park Street in 1898. The site consisted of a large five-story building and was incorporated March 18, 1891 by the Methodist Episcopal Church. Because the OMU and then SOMC financially supported the hospital after its relocation, the University/College was given a perpetual lease for clinical privileges. Protestant Hospital was renamed White Cross Hospital in 1922. Eventually modernization caught up with the physical aspects of the hospital and this site was abandoned in 1961 as its successor, Riverside Methodist Hospital, opened on Olentangy River Road. The Protestant/White Cross Hospital building was demolished in 1970.
|Title||Ohio Medical University/Starling Ohio Medical College and Protestant/White Cross/Riverside Hospitals|
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a digital reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the digital reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a digital reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement.
This institution reserves the right to refuse a reproduction order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
By requesting a digital reproduction of a photograph, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless The Ohio State University, its agents and employees against all claims, demands, costs and expenses incurred by copyright infringement or any other legal or regulatory cause of action arising from the use of these photographs.