|Collection||Vertical File Photos|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
Hospitals for children began to appear in the United States in the late 1800s. Members of the King's Daughters of St. Paul Episcopal Church initiated the movement to secure a children's hospital in Columbus in 1891.
The first Children's Hospital building opened February 1, 1891. The prevailing color scheme was blue and white, carried out in staff uniforms, chinaware, linens, bedding, etc. Originally Children's Hospital included four beds. Six more were added almost immediately. The hospital was open to patients between the ages of one and sixteen; no patient could stay longer than three months; and no cases of infectious disease were accepted.
Eventually, the hospital outgrew its original building and moved to new facilities in 1924 at 17th and Stone Streets, fronting Livingston Park. The hospital still exists although as a much larger facility and is now Nationwide Children's Hospital. It is home to the Department of Pediatrics of The Ohio State University College of Medicine.
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a digital reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the digital reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a digital reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement.
This institution reserves the right to refuse a reproduction order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
By requesting a digital reproduction of a photograph, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless The Ohio State University, its agents and employees against all claims, demands, costs and expenses incurred by copyright infringement or any other legal or regulatory cause of action arising from the use of these photographs.