Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Collection Vertical File Photos
Catalog Number VF53
Object Name Print, Photographic
Description In the late 1960s when space was becoming especially tight at Thompson Library - then known as the Main Library - a number of fixes were planned, such as finding library space elsewhere for specific disciplines. One plan proposed a health sciences library dedicated to medicine and dentistry, as well as graduate studies in microbiology, biochemistry and biophysics. The result: the Health Sciences Library, which was built in 1972 and opened on May 14, 1973. On September 1, 1988, the Board of Trustees resolved that the building should be named the "John A. Prior Health Sciences Library." The building name was changed to the John A. Prior Hall in 2012.

Dr. Prior received both degrees from Ohio State: first his bachelor's in 1935, then his MD in 1938. After graduation, he was awarded the Eli Alcorn Prize in Ophthalmology. He worked in Cincinnati for several years before returning to Ohio State in 1944 as an instructor. He became professor in 1952 and assistant dean of the College of Medicine in 1961, with the associate deanship following in 1963. In 1972 he asked to be released from his administrative duties to return to teaching. Upon his retirement in 1981 he was named Professor Emeritus. Dr. Prior was recognized for his contributions through a number of awards. He received the Distinguished Service Alumni Award from the medical college in 1963. The following year, he was awarded the University's Distinguished Teaching Award, and in 1981, he was given the University's Distinguished Service Award. Dr. Prior was a gifted teacher, and he pushed for the establishment of a medical library at Ohio State. The University honored these contributions by naming the library he worked to found in his honor. Dr. Prior died in October 1992 at the age of 79.
Title John A. Prior Health Sciences Library/Prior Hall
Copyright COPYRIGHT RESTRICTIONS

The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a digital reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the digital reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a digital reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement.

This institution reserves the right to refuse a reproduction order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.

By requesting a digital reproduction of a photograph, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless The Ohio State University, its agents and employees against all claims, demands, costs and expenses incurred by copyright infringement or any other legal or regulatory cause of action arising from the use of these photographs.