Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Collection Postcard Collection
Catalog Number PC35
Object Name Postcard
Description The 77-acre military post known today as Fort Hayes was originally built and used as a federal arsenal to store and repair Ordinance Corps arms and to equip Ohio regiments called to duty during the Civil War. The land for Fort Hayes was purchased from Robert and Jannette Neil on February 17, 1863. The Neil's were members of the same Neil family from whom the land to build The Ohio State University was later purchased.

The military base was called The Columbus Barracks from 1905 to December 1922, when it was named after Ohio governor and later president Rutherford B. Hayes.
Title U.S. Barracks

The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a digital reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the digital reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a digital reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement.

This institution reserves the right to refuse a reproduction order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.

By requesting a digital reproduction of a photograph, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless The Ohio State University, its agents and employees against all claims, demands, costs and expenses incurred by copyright infringement or any other legal or regulatory cause of action arising from the use of these photographs.