Built in 1847 at 311 East State Street, this Norman Gothic structure was the first combined medical school (Starling Medical College) and hospital (St. Francis Hospital) in the United States. Initially lacking funding to complete the hospital part of the building, Dr. Richard L. Howard, a Starling Medical College trustee, provided money to open the "Howard Infirmary." Unfortunately, managing this facility proved to be overwhelming. The infirmary closed in the 1850s.
Because of the lack of medical facilities in Columbus, local physicians organized a move to bring a group of nuns to the Columbus community to serve as health care workers in 1861. In February 1865, a 99-year lease was granted to the Sisters of the Poor of St. Francis to operate a charity facility which became known as St. Francis Hospital.
|Title||Starling Medical College & St. Francis Hospital|
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a digital reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the digital reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a digital reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement.
This institution reserves the right to refuse a reproduction order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
By requesting a digital reproduction of a photograph, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless The Ohio State University, its agents and employees against all claims, demands, costs and expenses incurred by copyright infringement or any other legal or regulatory cause of action arising from the use of these photographs.